I'm in the mountains tonight – somewhere around 500m. It's quite cool. A chilly wind blew for most of the afternoon. Gontan is another of those strange towns. It's Friday night and there's no one around. It's got three bars/cafes, no shop and no restaurant. I had to walk a kilometre to the next village, Abadin, which has two supermarkets, to buy food for dinner. I think some of these places are historical accidents.

It was a day of climbing: probably twenty of today's twenty four kilometres were spent going up hill. It wasn't tough, but it was consistent. The presence of wind turbines along the mountain ridges reminds me of now much Spain has invested in
this type of electricity generation. I recall the wind farms I saw from a bus while traveling from Barcelona to Pamplona in 2007 prior to starting my first Camino. Some of the farms appeared to have hundreds upon hundreds of turbines in them. Good on Spain.

The albergue in Gontan has been purpose-built by the local council. It's a��5 a night and you get throw-away mattress and pillow protectors. Most of the municipal albergues provide protectors. The odd thing about it is that it has a kitchen with a four hot plate stove but no posts or pans to cook with. Obviously the budget didn't
stretch that far. The departure rule is that everyone has to be out by 8.00am. I didn't leave today's albergue until after 9.00am, so I'll have to be on my game tomorrow.

Today's first stop was Mondonedo after a two hour walk. It looked and felt like a sane, thriving town. It had quite an impressive cathedral where I went and said prayers and lit some candles for friends who are in need. I then sat outside on a stone bench, ate and watched all the busyness around me.

Today we had another diversion of the path because of the construction of a motorway. Interestigy, on some of the concrete blocks used to build retaining walls, are impressed the scallop shell which is the symbol of the Camino.

On the way into Mondonedo I spiked a leaf with one of my walking poles. I think it was sent to test me. The leaf was adamant it would hang on and I was adamant I would pay it no attention. When I got to the cathedral I put down my poles, but it
wasn't until I picked them up to leave that I noticed the leaf was gone. Where it happened I don't know but I am aware that I picked it up at least a half hour out of Mondonedo. This experience reinforces for me what I saId in last night's post about not wasting energy on life's small annoyances because they'll likely disappear without us being aware of them going.

The old right leg was back today. In fact, it came back yesterday, but not with as much feeling. I'm expecting it to completely disappear as soon as I shed my backpack, and that's just a week away.
Ok, that’s still pretty much what they are